Miss Universe is an international female beauty reserved for young women 18 to 25 years. The contest is organized by Donald Trump and U.S. television channel NBC. According to a well-oiled ritual, young women parading first evening dress, then bathing suit and lend themselves to the game of questions and answers. Miss Universe is competing with the Miss World contest of British origin.
Miss Universe is an annual international concour beauty managed by the Miss Universe Organization. The contest was founded in 1952 by the California Clothing Company Pacific Mills. The concour is part of Kayser-Roth and then Gulf and Western Industries, before being acquired by Donald Trump in 1996.
Miss America 1951, Yolande Betbeze, refused to put a bathing suit its main sponsor, Catalina swimwear. Accordingly, the manufacturer's Pacific Mills withdrew from Miss America and set up the concour Miss USA and Miss Universe. The first Miss Universe was held at Long Beach in California in 1952. It was won by Armi Kuusela from Finland, which has renounced his title to marry a Filipino tycoon, Virgilio Hilario, shortly before his year was complete. Until 1958, the title of Miss Universe (as Miss America) was post-dated.
The concour was televised in 1955. CBS began nationally broadcast combined Miss USA and Miss Universe in 1960 and, separately, from 1965. In 2003, NBC took over the television rights.
The main contest was held consecutively in the continental USA from 1952 to 1971. Since then, the concour took place in locales throughout the world.
* 1957: Peruvian Gladys Zender was the youngest candidate to win the title (17 years)
* 1977: Janelle Commissiong Trinidad and Tobago is the first black elected Miss Universe. The first black African elected was Mpule Kwelagobe of Botswana in 1999. He was succeeded by another black winner, Wendy Fitzwilliam of Trinidad and Tobago. In 1985, the South African candidate was rejected because of apartheid: the candidate is represented in 1990 for Germany.
* Miss Lebanon 2001 was expelled from the competition for protesting against the presence of the Israeli candidate.
* Oxana Fedorova, Miss Universe 2002, was overcome during reign, officially for failing to fulfil its obligations. A rumor ran that Oxana was pregnant but she belies.
* 2007: American candidate, Rachel Smith, fell during his visit in evening gown but was still ranked fourth in
Read also Miss Universe